The book covers OpenLDAP -- server, utilities, and clients -- from installation through configuration and integration with other services. The focus is on OpenLDAP 2.3, with some forward-looking information about 2.4.
Here are some of the topics covered:
- LDAP basics (LDAP operations, binding, searching, etc.)
- Setting up the server on Ubuntu Linux 7.04
- Creating a new directory information tree from an LDIF file.
- Using ldapsearch, ldapadd, ldapmodrdn, ldapdelete, ldapmodify, and ldappassword command line clients.
- Using slapadd, slapcat, slappasswd, slaptest and other command line utilities.
- Creating slapd.conf and ldap.conf configuration files.
- Using common object classes, like inetOrgPerson, groupOfNames, document, and others.
- Setting up simple and SASL binding. I cover DIGEST-MD5 and EXTERNAL types of SASL binding.
- Configuring SSL/TLS using both LDAPS and StartTLS.
- Creating and modifying Access Control Lists (ACLs) for SLAPD.
- Creating an LDAP proxy
- Replicating directory information trees with SyncRepl (and the syncprov overlay)
- Using overlays, including translucent proxies, accesslog logging, refint referential integrity and more.
- Using and creating custom schemas
- Building OpenLDAP from source
- I also cover integration with Apache, and with phpLDAPadmin.
Special thanks to George Thiruvathukal of ETL for contributing to the book. Also, I have benefited enormously from input from OpenLDAP project members.